Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 7 April 2013

Sow On & Sow Forth

I'm ignoring the fact that spring is to be suspended for yet another week and there is to be no rain for the forecastable future. I will have to start moving plants tomorrow otherwise I'll never catch up.

A brief recap of the last few days - Thursday - we had a great day..thanks to the use of a tractor, we had two large areas of rough meadow finally cut, two large bonfires burnt (nothing but twiggy growth removed from the hedge we laid in January) and finally a large trailer load of steaming horse manure from the local riding school - too fresh for this year but will make a great (free) mulch for next.

We also started planting our hydrangea walk - only 11 planted so far - we now have 52 throughout the garden - once planted, they're pretty low maintenance and make great cut flowers for weddings. I have a beautiful pink lacecap (no name) in my home garden and some of the lower branches have sort of layered themselves (they have grown along the ground, in contact with the soil and have formed roots) so I must cut them and pot them on. I am so into hydrangeas en ce moment.



Re seed planting - I started more in the tunnel on Friday - sanguisorba menziesii (Alaskan burnet) cephalaria leucantha, calendula Indian Prince, more cornflowers, gypsophila elegans deep rose, but still more to do. I'm waiting for it to warm up a bit.

On Saturday, I had to start watering all newly planted areas as it's been so dry with no rain and the east wind. I also potted on some lupins and sowed yet more seed (forgot to write down what so will have to check the tunnel tomorrow).

Kids back to school tomorrow - strange Easter holiday, what with the cold weather...too much wine and chocolate, not enough gardening - looking forward to getting back into a routine...time for blanket bay....slaap lekker.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day