Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 7 November 2012

Willow Hearts

I love willow - it's the easiest, most vigorous crop you can grow and it has so many uses. It supports the greatest range of wildlife of any single crop grown in the UK...hundreds of invertebrates and dozens of birds.
 
Enjoying my usual Sunday morning lie in, last week, I opened my December edition of Country Living and found an inspiring article about Common Farm Flowers - run by a talented couple who make the most beautiful coloured wreaths for Christmas. I have already in the garden Salix viminalis, eleagnus, lanata and my favourite, daphnoides. Daphnoides has beautiful purple stems which take on  a white bloom with age and the pussies come early, about now which is great for my Christmas crafts....it smells delicious too although you can't chop at it as vigorously as others - just every other stem or it can die back.
 
I'm quite excited as I have just ordered 5 other varieties from the wonderful Future Forests I would love to be able to create more than just a few simple hearts and basic wreaths....if I ever get the time I must go on a willow craft workshop!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day