Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday 19 November 2012

The Aga Can

When we bought our house about 20 years ago, there was a red Aga in the kitchen. I hated it...I didn't like the colour red, I wasn't a great cook and didn't have a clue about how to use it. The flue was in the wrong position so when it was windy (always up here on The Gobbins!) it would blow out - one Christmas Day, we had to take the turkey out and drive to my parents' to cook it in their oven...disaster. We never gave in tho - we moved the flue and have never looked back. Yes it uses more oil than I would like but we have no electric oven, hob, kettle, toaster, microwave, dishwasher or immersion heater. It provides all of our hot water, you can iron your clothes on top and the kettle is always ready to boil as it sits at the back keeping warm. It also backs onto our bathroom - the entire wall stays warm and the large mirrors on the wall never mist because of the heat - the benefits really are endless.
 
The heat is instant - as soon as you put your saucepan on the plate, it starts to simmer and the oven cooks quicker than the time taken to order takeaway (which is impossible in Islandmagee!) I love it, I love it! At this time of year, nothing beats it for drying fruit slices and opening pine cones - I haven't had to clean an oven in 20 years - it self cleans - the constant heat just burns any spills to dust - I'm starting to sound very smug - I could ramble on forever......perfect pizza, instant toasties.......  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day