Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Fave August Flowers

 I can't believe how the time has flown - the kids are back at school anyday. Am I the only one that procrastinates every year until I have only a day or two left to shop for the dreaded uniforms - I never learn. Anyway, August is almost over and I haven't mentioned my top 5 flowers for picking so here goes!
 
5) Phlox - nice tall, straight stems and perennial - the vase life is terrific... a lovely scent too! 
 
 
4) Snapdragons - they provide a lovely vertical spire in a bouquet now that the bulk of the toadflax is over and there are some beautiful colours available...my favourite this year is Apple Blossom but they are so hard to grow from seed and I don't like having to buy in plugs - I'm going to try propogating from cuttings this year - will let you know how I get on. (Pic to follow).
 
3) Cosmos - just beautiful, no matter which variety you grow, great for wildlife (bees and burnet moths), easy to grow from seed and lovely in every vase.
 
 
2) Verbena bonariense - no staking required, no removing leaves to condition, nice long straight stems and such an iridescent colour - of course the butterflies love it too!
 
 
1) Dahlias - what can I say - they are unbeatable for the wow factor, colour range, and number of flowers per plant, as long as you keep picking them and give them a regular feed, they will produce bucket loads of flowers. They are also the most rainproof flower in the garden. Slugs will devour them when growth starts in the spring but if you can fend them off (for another post) and get them established, they will romp away.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day