Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 30 April 2014

A Perfect Patch

This week, I have been delivering my "Cut Flower Patches" which contain annual and perennial plant plugs for people to plant out in their garden and which will hopefully give them beautiful blooms to fill their home all summer long.

If you fancy growing a few cut flowers for your home, why not give it a go? It's one of the most rewarding and "feel good" pastimes, believe me! With this in mind, I thought I would share with you my top five plants for cutting in May.

Tulips - The sheer variety of colours and forms makes them a dream for hand tied bouquets - easy to grow and easy to arrange, although they don't reliably bloom in following years. I find that the doubles last longer both in the garden and the vase.


Alliums - Purple Sensation & Roseum are the stars of the onion family. Even easier to grow than tulips and they will return each year, gradually increasing in numbers. The bees love them and they last for ages in a vase.



Hesperis - (Sweet Rocket) This lovely biennial smells superb, especially in the evening, and once planted, should self sow thereafter.

Lunaria - (Honesty) Another great biennial, similar to hesperis, easy to grow in poor soil, it's available in purple and white. There is also a lovely one with variegated foliage.

Erysimum (Wallflowers) Finally, a biennial / short lived perennial available in many different colours, a beautiful scent and loved by bees!

Roll on May!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day