Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Nature's Bounty

 
Am feeling rather Hugh F-Sy....gathering in the fruits of our labour despite the terrible weather this summer. Today we lifted the rested of the potatoes - we had blight for the first time this year but I think it was widespread this year - we had cut the tops off and burnt them a while ago but the whole patch was overgrown with weeds and I just couldn't face it. We seem to have lost about a third of the whole crop but the rest are fine so tonight my lovely hubby made stew with our own carrots, parsnips, potatoes and onions (don't tell the kids...we puree the onions first so they don't notice)!
 
We also tried our jerusalem artichokes for the first time (have never grown them before.....really easy!)...sliced raw - they have a taste of their own......smoky, nutty   and the texture of water chestnuts. Have been perusing recipes from River Cottage Everyday & Sarah Raven's Garden Cookbook - some great ideas.
 
I also made blackberry jam this evening and, having gathered bucket loads of rosehips, mostly to preserve for floral decorations, I am going to try rosehip syrup tomorrow - will let you know how I get on!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day