Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday 9 September 2012

Butterflies & Blooms

 
The butterflies and bees are everywhere - it has been pleasantly warm the last few days although we had a windy spell which set the flowers adrift. The cosmos and snapdragons are flowering their hearts out, as are the dahlias - I'm just sorry that I didn't plant more of them this year. That's the thing about leaving the dahlias in the ground - you don't know which ones will survive and then you are left with gaps. I suppose I should start a few more off in the tunnel in spring to replace the ones that don't come up. Two years ago I grew dahlia Cactus Mixed from seed and they were lovely....I think I'll try them again next spring.
 



Last week I started all of my hardy annuals in the tunnel (ammi, nigella, cornflowers,sweet sultan, gyp elegans, clary sage), as opposed to waiting until spring - it worked well last year for the ammi but I didn't get round to trying any others. The trouble is that the beds are still full of this years annuals so I will probably have to just pot on and leave at the back of the tunnel - this worked fine for the ammi but may not do for the rest - you are always learning with gardening and nothing is straightforward!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day