Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday 5 November 2014

Autumn Sun

A beautiful day today.....calm and sunny...the calm before the storm due tomorrow.

I really should have been outside but, yesterday, I was determined to complete all of the polytunnel work which should have been already done - potting on hardy annuals, perennials and wildflowers.

Cutting down the applemint which was completely overrun with brown mint leaf beetles - the larvae had been devouring the young nepeta and clary sage as well. Unfortunately, I didn't realise that they were a pest and merrily let them take over the entire tunnel!

They're not much of a problem in the garden but in the confined space of the tunnel, it's a different story.

My posts have been pathetically scarce of late - I must do better.
Jobs to do within the next month (do you think if I write them here, it will force me to complete my tasks?!)


  • Plant tulips in crates to force in the tunnel for Mother's Day and spring. 
  • Plant up spring bedding including bulbs.
  • Cut down and burn all peony growth (to help prevent peony wilt).
  • Plant remaining narcissus (bought in the sale) in the meadows.
  • Move a few roses to more suitable positions (Ghislaine de Feligonde, Agnes & Mme Alfred Carriere.
  • Take rose cuttings for favoured varieties....Hansa, Ispahan, Bonica, Cerise Bouquet to name a few.
  • Finish transplanting the foxgloves & wallfowers to their final position.
  • Move some Lily of the Valley to the side of the lane
The kitchen sink....I could go on forever but this is a good start!

I'm still drooling over online rose catalogues....I had hoped to buy 10 new varieties but having spent so much of my budget on bulbs and bare root plants, I think it may be only 6 or 7 - you can't get a rose for less than a tenner these days. Such a difficult choice with so many beautiful varieties but, then again, it's good to have a want.


A beautiful mix of roses from the garden.


The deliciously sumptuous Ispahan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day