Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday 4 September 2014

A Beautiful Day!

What a beautiful day - it seems all the more precious now that we are into September.

We were cutting the meadow areas around our newly planted trees - these areas will only be cut once a year, rather like a traditional hay meadow, to prevent pernicious weeds such as dockens, thistles, brambles from taking over. But it was like making hay on a beautiful summer's day - so feel good! The area beside the prairie border slopes to the sun and is quite dry so that I want to introduce some narcissus and also dianthus carthusianorum which I've grown from seed - it needs clean country air and a poor dry soil - our soil is not poor but I will give it a go. I have some ox eye daisies from a kind gardening friend and will these as they flower all summer....must get out my Christopher Lloyd Meadows book for some inspiration - our soil is similar to theirs although we wouldn't get the same amount of sun or heat but it's a wonderful book for anyone wanting to start a meadow. 


I was also sowing some seeds, hardy annuals - cornflowers, annual gypsophila, and ammi visnaga. And hardy perennials - delphiniums, verbascums, veronica and thalictrum. 

Tomorrow I want to clear out the polytunnel and have a tidy....I also need to have a sort through this year's stock of plants - throw out those not worth keeping and pot on or feed the rest. 

Long may the good weather continue! (With a wee drop of rain overnight please!!!)

Happy Gardening!


Euonymus planipes with their beautiful fruits.


Rosa rugosa hips - great for vitamin C....dry and store for tea or make a rosehip syrup.



The prairie border still looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day